Indian Revenue Services (IRS) is a part of Civil Services. A person can be recruited into IRS through Civil Services Examination which is conducted by UPSC. The Indian Revenue Service (IRS), is that the body revenue service of the govt. of India. It is one of the Group A services. Indian Revenue Services is a Central civil service that functions under the Department of Revenue within the Union Ministry of Finance and cares with the gathering and management of the various direct and indirect taxes, accruing the same to the Union Government.
IRS includes 2 branches:
- IRS (Income Tax)
- IRS (Customs and Central Excise)
Indian Revenue Services Eligibility
For the Indian Revenue Services, a candidate must be one of the following:
- A citizen of India,
- A person of Indian origin who has migrated from Pakistan, Myanmar, Sri Lanka, Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, Zaire, African nation or Vietnam with the intention of permanently settling in India.
Candidate ought to have any of the subsequent credentials:
- A degree from a Central, State or Deemed University,
- Degree received through Correspondence Education or Distance ,
- Degree from an university , qualification recognised by the Government of India as being equivalent to either of the above.
The following candidates also are eligible, but have to submit proof of their eligibility from a competent authority at their institute/university at the time of the main examination, otherwise they will not be allowed to attend the communicating
- Candidates who have passed the final exam of the MBBS degree but have not yet completed their internship
- Candidates who have passed the Final exam of Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI), ICSI and ICWAI
- A degree from a private university
- A degree from any foreign university recognised by Association of Indian Universities (AIU)
Age limits vary consistent with the caste reservations. The minimum regulation for a candidate is twenty one years. The upper age limits are as follows
- For General: Up to 32 years.
- For OBC : Up to 35 years
- For SC/ST: Up to 37 years.
Upper regulation relaxation is provided to bound candidates UN agency area unit backward with relevance different factors and physically disabled individuals
Download: NCERT Books
Number Of Attempts
- For General Category: 6 attempts
- For OBC Candidates: 9 attempts
- For SC/ST Candidates: No restrictions.
Overview Of The IRS Exam
UPSC is the agency authorized by the government to be held responsible for selecting the right candidates for this service. From lakhs of the aspirants only near 1000 aspirants are selected for all the major all-India 24 services combined.
IRS is one of the hardest exam conducted by government organizations considering the exam duration is more (extended 1 year), depth of the syllabus and obviously, the competition involved.
The IRS examination is conducted in 3 components that area unit Preliminary (objective): it’s commonly organized in MAY/JUNE and second: Mains (written), is organized near SEPTEMBER/OCTOBER. After getting through Mains, the candidate will have to face interview/personality test during MARCH/APRIL time. The final result generally comes in MAY. Similarly, a year is spent on exams only.
Roles And Responsibilities Of IRS Officers
Indian Revenue Services (IRS) officers act as the safeguards of the Economic borders. They are appointed to law enforcement and intelligence organisations like the Central Bureau of Investigation, Research and Analysis Wing, etc. IRS officers are charged with responsibilities of identifying the tax evasions. They hold statutory powers to go looking for and seize lawlessly accumulated wealth and arrest the culprits to forestall any evasions.
Indian Revenue Services officers have been playing an important role in probing and exposing of many scams in India. IRS officers perform all necessary border postings and shield the country from importation and safeguard its economic borders. They undertake patrolling missions in high seas and preventive operations against piracy and smuggling.