Srushti Jayant Deshmukh recreated history when she secure AIR 5 in UPSC CSE 2018. Today she has become a role model for many aspirants but how many of us purely know about her strategy? Very few.
In this article we will cover her preparation strategy step by step and try to decode her success. Let’s enjoy her journey.
About Srushti Jayant Deshmukh
- Srushti Jayant Deshmukh, the Women Topper of 2018, lives in Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh.
- She did her schooling from Carmel Convent School, Bhopal and scored 93.4% in her class 12 Boards.
- Her father, Jayant Deshmukh is a Engineer and her mother is a Pre-primary School Teacher.
- Srushti Jayant Deshmukh did her B.Tech in Chemical Engineering from Lakshmi Narayan Institute of Technology, Bhopal.
- She didn’t take any coaching for Civil Services but prepared taking the help of online materials.
Srushti Jayant Deshmukh: Basic Strategy
In this modern age of internet when a person starts using mobile phones, he/she wasted a lot of his/her time in it. She also suffered this problem. Productivity becomes a very important thing for her since she was preparing while she was in college. Her aim was to take the maximum output in the limited time. So, she did several things to improve her productivity. These are-
- First and foremost step is to identify where you waste your time. Srushti Jayant Deshmukh used a mobile app to track which activities consume her time. Whenever she used to open her phone it used to ask her what she was doing and this helped her in identifying where she was wasting her time.
- She tried to utilise her time very productively. While commuting from her home to college and from her college to home she used to read The Hindu newspaper. S, try to make your own time table which suits you. Don’t be lazy, if you don’t have it, then make it.
- One of the most important things to understand is that don’t do much fatigue activities as you have to come back home and study. An exhausted body’s productivity will be very low.
- Srushti Jayant Deshmukh made several sacrifices for her goal like avoiding friends parties, wedding ceremonies, etc. Saving her time in these activities really helped her.
Srushti Jayant Deshmukh: Pillars Of Preparation
She prepared a gist of different topics. Also, Srushti Jayant Deshmukh used to have a copy of the syllabus in her table and used to prepare notes of different sections from the syllabus. She properly arranged these notes as it helped her to know how much work she has completed.
Newspaper were the basis of his preparation in the study of current affairs. Current affairs was the First Pillar of her preparation.
- Newspaper helped her in forming her view point on different issues in the news. She used to make notes of current affairs on different topics as she was then able to categorize things for prelims, mains and interview.
- She categorized her mains notes in categories like social, economic, political, International relations,etc. Also, the monthly magazine of Vision IAs gave finishing touch to her preparation.
- Srushti Jayant Deshmukh subscribed to PIB where all the important news are revealed. It covered schemes, performance of schemes, briefings very well. YOu neednot to read every news but you have to decide whether every news is important from UPSC point of view.
- Watch Rajya Sabha programmes like The Big Picture, India’s World. These programmes really helped her to know various issues well. She sometimes listened Radio news of All India Radio.
- While reading current affairs of different topics like science, ecology,national parks etc. Try to relate those topics with your preparation to make your preparation more interesting.
- You can read difficult topics on Internet to have a better understanding of them.
- Srushti Jayant Deshmukh daily used to write answers of questions and wrote at least 3-4 daily questions. She had joined Insight online coaching. She used to compare her answers with others and try to point out mistakes in others answers. Her aim was to get maximum upvote in her answers.
- Apart from writing an answer in a Normal format of Introduction, Body and Conclusion. You can write your answer differently by adding some data, Indices , international reports, Diagrams, Flowcharts to it. This makes your answer more interesting.
- Try to analyse the TAILWORD of questions like Examine, Analyse, Discuss etc. If you frame a strategy on how to tackle these things then It will yield you results.So, try to restructure your answers. All these things could be developed through practice.
- Answer Writing and Mock Tests were her Second Pillars of Preparation.
Mock tests has its own importance in UPSC exam which should be respected. These helps you to analyse and judge yourself and gives you an opportunity to work upon your mistakes. She used to solve daily MCQs online as well as she gave test of different coaching and tried to work upon her weak areas.
Mains Answers: She initially didn’t focussed on her speed. Later, she bought a stopwatch to improve her timing. Till then she used to improve her quality of answers. She worked on the structure of her answers and used to add information like reports, diagrams, flowchart, indices in that. She used to focus on the feedback of her answers. She tried to write more and more answers. As she wrote more answers their quality improved significantly.
She used to believe that one can be a critic of himself only when you check your answers. Every day, try to be your Best friend, try to encourage yourself that you will be able to clear the exam under any circumstances. Surround yourself with positive thoughts and positive people who will support you irrespective of your results.
Listen Motivational Music: This will help you to remain motivated and score high.
The best part about UPSC preparation is that we get to learn a lot of things and this actually motivates us. Try to internalize the things in your mind after you stud them. When any of you will do so, you will not only think of just clearing this exam but you will see this exam as a way through which you can participate in changing the lives of people, environment etc.
Download: NCERT Books for Free in PDF form
Srushti Jayant Deshmukh: Final Words
Though the journey is very tough, requires dedication but It’s Possible. Every aspirant should keep this thought in his mind throughout his preparation.
There will be times when feel to quit, you would think that you can’t do it, you are not made for it. At that time, remember the reason why you wanted to join Civil Services, why you have taken this difficult road. This will encourage you. If your reason is not strong enough to hold you back, then, you are just wasting your time.
Victorious people win first, then, they go to the battlefield while the defeated go to war first and then seeks to win.
So try to give a lot of mock tests, create an exam environment and try to score high in mocks.
You should be focused on your goal, be consistent and try to give best efforts. Srushti Jayant Deshmukh scored 105 in Prelims while mocks her score used to revolve around 90-105. In the heat of June your head might burn up. So, keep yourself hydrated and energetic.
Life doesn’t provide you a path, it only gives opportunities. It’s up to you, how you use that opportunity to create your own path.